Dating and Drinking

Monday, August 29, 2005

Mixville and Good Luck Bar

Back in LA! Hate moving! Love alcohol!

I am going to have that put on a bumper sticker.

Anyway, Saturday night was a wonderful reprieve from the mess that is my new apartment, as I met Jen for drinks in the Silverlake area. Our first stop was Mixville at the Edendale Grill, which was [sort of] easily identifable by the fact that it was the only place lit up with Christmas lights on that street. The bar itself was nice - dark woods, dim lighting, awesome ceiling, etcetc. And maybe it was an off night, or perhaps it was because we weren't sitting outside by all the smokers, but it was deader than a doorknob (or however the expression goes) on a Saturday night. Looked to be an early-30s crowd, although I'm none too good with guessing ages. Additionally, it took forever to get service, and heavens to Betsy, they didn't make mint juleps. Okay, while the latter may be forgiveable, the former certainly isn't. Blech.

Isn't it just so frustrating when you pay the valet guy $5 to park the car across the street from you? Sigh.

Since Mixville was just so dead, we decided to zip on over to Good Luck Bar, which I'd been wanting to go to for awhile. Done up to look like a Chinese bordello, there were lots of fruity drinks available. The crowd was interesting - lots of youngish girls, and some just odd guys. For instance - the guy with the muscle tee and the weird armband? As Jen put it, if you can see his pits and manboobs, it's just not good. And what was with the majority of the guys having odd facial hair? Then there was the guy with the puka shell necklace who talked to her about something, but I couldn't really hear, nor did I want in on the conversation, so I focused on my drink which was an interesting combination of coconut rum, cranberry juice, pineapple juice, and amaretto. You think it'd be too sweet, but the amaretto does a nice job of not only preventing an overly saccharine drink but also adding a layer of complexity.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any guys to be mean too - I was just too disinterested in everyone (okay, save the cute tall guy but I kept losing track of him) to even bother. But hey - at least the company I was with, if not the rest - was good! No, better than good!
Gloria 12:05 AM

1 Comments:

Muscle tees and puka shells are just wrong. Where are the Fab Five when you need them?

Add a comment

Blogger Contrat Creative Commons